Copyright 2019 Connaught Skating Club
All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms of Website Use

Volunteers

Volunteering at Connaught SC

Skate Canada is a very successful national organization and one of the reasons for this is the involvement of thousands of volunteers that help to keep things running. Some individuals have been volunteering for more than 50 years! There are many types of volunteer positions available and these can range from playing music at a club skating session to making policy at the national board level. Each year Skate Canada pays tribute to its volunteers at its annual meeting and awards are presented to those whose contributions have been recognized by their peers.

As a non-profit organization, Connaught Skating Club is run and managed by a group of volunteers: the CSC board and skaters' parents. The volunteer work is essential to the quality and success of our club, and to your child's experience here. Prior experience is not required. Volunteering in the Club is a great opportunity to learn about the sport of figure skating and how the club runs, as well as a fun way to meet other Club members and have a good time while helping out.

Skaters registered in Junior Academy and higher levels are required to submit the Volunteer Form and a cheque when registering at any time during the Fall, Winter, Spring or Summer sessions in the current skating year (September 2018 to August 2019).

 

On the Volunteer Form, CSC members are to indicate their choice of two options:

1. Volunteer Deposit:

Those who choose the Volunteer Deposit option must submit a Volunteer form and postdated cheque in the amount specified in the chart below, which is based on the skater’s designation. The specified hours of volunteering for the Club must be completed and documented by August 31, 2019; otherwise the Volunteer Deposit postdated cheque will be cashed.

2. Volunteer Fee:

Those who choose the Volunteer Fee/Opt out option must submit a Volunteer form and immediately dated cheque in the specified amount to be paid at the time of registration. This cheque will be cashed immediately and the family is not required to perform a minimum number of volunteer hours.

 

Please note: There is no partial option for hours or payment amount; the two choices are fulfilling the specified number of hours of volunteering making the specified payment of the full amount based on designation.

The amount of the Volunteer Deposit, Fee, and Hours is dependent on the skater's designation.

Skater Designation                                                Minimum Volunteer Hours Required                                      Cheque Amount

Junior Academy / StarSkate Bronze                                                 3 hrs/season*                                                                           -

Bronze                                                                                                            15                                                                                  $200

Bronze Plus, Silver, Gold, Diamond B                                                        30                                                                                  $350

Diamond A, Top Flight                                                                                  45                                                                                  $400

*Note: Requirement of a minimum of 3 hours per season (ie. 3 hours or more in Fall, 3 hours or more in Winter, etc.)

 

The number of hours is per immediate family, not per skater, and is based on the highest skater designation in the family. Those who choose the Volunteer Deposit option must complete the specified minimum number of hours based on their skater's designation.

The volunteer hours requirement will be prorated for midyear promotions (partial or full), or from Junior Academy into Bronze category; and for those registering in programs after September 2018. Please be sure to contact the Volunteer Coordinator.

 

Important: The maximum number of completed volunteer hours accrued for the Fall/Winter season will be capped at 70%. The remaining 30% will have to be completed during the Spring/Summer seasons.

 

For example:

A Bronze skater is required to complete 15 total hours of volunteer time. 70% of 15 hours (10 hours 30 mins) is the maximum number of volunteer hours allowed to accrue during the Fall/Winter seasons, and the remaining 30% of 15 hours (4 hours 30 mins) should be completed in Spring and Summer season. This restriction ensures that we have enough volunteers to operate club functions during the Spring/Summer seasons.

 

Volunteer hours cannot be carried over into the subsequent year(s).

 

Board Members will get full credits for their volunteer hours.

 

Volunteer Opportunities

 

Notification will be sent out by email (via SignUpGenius) and posted on the rink roller board when volunteers are needed. Tasks are assigned on a first come, first serve basis and managed by the Club's Volunteer Committee. If a coach suggests a job, please discuss it with the Volunteer Coordinator before taking on the task in order to receive credit for the time.

 

It is the responsibility of parents to ensure they provide a valid email address and fulfill the minimum hours’ requirement if they would like their deposit cheque returned. Completed tasks/hours must be recorded on an ongoing basis in a Volunteer Hours Log spreadsheet, as per Club policy.

 

Tasks are assigned and managed by the club’s Volunteer Coordinator, and not by the coaching team. If a coach suggests a job please discuss it with the Volunteer Coordinator before taking on the task if you want to receive credit for the time.

 

This program is our (the membership’s) program; if coaches have requests for works, the requests should be going to through the Volunteer Coordinator for approval and determination of appropriate hours. In the past, coaches were asking people to do tasks and promising them hours, which we had no idea about and took us by surprise.

 

Tasks performed by children will not be accepted as volunteer hours, unless approved in advance by the Volunteer Committee.

 

Members are allowed to use BC Coast Region test days and competition volunteer hours to be part of their Connaught commitment with a cap at 8 hours per year. Hours where skaters/parents are required to volunteer at competitions by virtue of being a member of any BC/YK organized Team, are not eligible for Connaught volunteer hours as these are commitments the skater must make to be considered for membership for those teams.

 

 

 

How to email your Volunteer Hours Log spreadsheet to the Volunteer Coordinator

Please ensure that your emailed copy of the Volunteer Hours Log spreadsheet has the following information in the SUBJECT LINE of the email: “2018-2019 [Skater’s Skating Level]: [Skater’s Last_Name, Skater’s First_Name]”

 

e.g. Subject : 2018-2019 Bronze: Smith, Jane

 

The sample Volunteer Hours Log spreadsheet will be sent out by email. If you have any difficulty in completing the excel spreadsheet, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator.

 

For more information, please contact Linda Tam, Volunteer Coordinator.

Email Address: Connaught.volunteers@gmail.com

 

We appreciate your time and talents.

Your support makes a HUGE difference in how well the Club runs.

 

Thank you for volunteering!

Available Download

2019 Volunteering Policy and Form

2017 Instruction for Volunteer

Position Sign up on Uplifter